Friday, February 19, 2010

Blog Launch and Newsletter Vol 2

Last week the Holliman Family History Newsletter, Vol 1 was emailed to many family members in a Word document. While this method was well received, my daughter has talked me into posting family history on the Internet in a blog format. Many of you know I am not computer savvy, yet I have discovered there are quite few advantages to blogging:

- Pictures are easy to upload and view
- Previous information and photos are automatically archived for future reference
- You can visit this blog at your leisure and easily access it on the Internet
- Websites of interest and other blogs, such as the one Grace Holliman writes, can be easily linked to this site

Please bear with me as I discover the ins and outs of blogging. No doubt there will be a few glitches along the way. This blog is a work in progress. Your comments, questions, and any information you have on family history is most welcome here.

Glenn N. Holliman, Compiler

In this post we focus on the Daly and Herrin families:

Vena Holliman (1909-1990) was the first born daughter of Ulyss and Pearl Caine Holliman. In 1928, she married Robert Daly, an up and coming banker in Irondale and Woodlawn. They had two children, Mary Daly Herrin, Irondale and Dr. Robert Daly, Florence, AL.



In this photo ca 1954 (clockwise from top):

Clayton Herrin, Pearl Caine Holliman, Vena Holliman Daly, Mary Daly Herrin, Lula Hocutt Caine


In the unpublished memoirs of H. Bishop Holliman, a brother of Vena Daly, we found these observations. Bishop captures a time and place of a family in Alabama in the 1920s and 30s and the generosity of Robert and Vena.

Memories of Robert Daly and Vena Vivian Holliman Daly

by Bishop Holliman (Written 1983).

Vena Vivian was born December 21, 1909. It was always common knowledge that she, my eldest sister, was exactly ten years older than I. My only memory of Vena being at home in Irondale, Alabama was of her dating Robert Daly. They were married June 12, 1928 at the Irondale Methodist Church. I was 8 years old, but I can recall the event clearly.

Vena attended Shades Cahaba, and since she was only 18 at marriage, she would not have done much work outside of the home. It is my recollection that she and Robert dated for three years. Many times on their dates they would have to tolerate Virginia, Ralph or me. Since Robert had been in the family as far back as we three could remember, we assumed he was there to see us as well as Vena!

‘Going riding’ was the thing to do in those days, so many, many times, one of us or all three, would be with them. I don’t know why they put up with us as they did. They would take us on picnics and fishing trips to the Cahaba River in the summer.

Their honeymoon was spent in Miami, Florida, and believe me, that was a long way from Irondale and not just in mileage. I still recall the excitement of getting post cards from them and having friends know that we had family who could go to Miami!

Robert had built the two brick houses on the hill next to our house, but I believe they lived with the Dalys out on the mountain (the east side of Irondale) the first years of their marriage. In 1929, they took a trip visiting Lake Lure in NC and Mammoth Cave in KY. They took Euhal (a brother of Bishop, 1912-1989) with them.

At the time Robert drove a Packard roadster---with a rumble seat! In 1933, they went to the Chicago World’s Fair taking Loudelle (Loudelle Holliman Ferrell, 1914-1998) with them. Beginning in 1934, a third vacation became standard fare, and for the rest of his life, they always vacationed on the beach.

In 1934, Mary was 3 years old, they began going to Florida on vacations and for some reason they took Virginia and me along. Ralph was considered too young. Virginia was able to babysit with Mary so she was of some value to them. I was of no value, except to go along as a fishing buddy. Virginia and I went with them again in 1935 and 1936. Robert, I suppose, paid all our expenses. We were not old enough to question the source of our support for those trips...they would volunteer to let us go with them and we did - gladly!

In 1931, they were living in one of the brick houses next to us, because that is where they were when Mary was born June 15, 1931 (Mary Daly Herrin). Vena and Robert spoiled Virginia, Ralph and me. We made their home ours, and did not hesitate to impose upon them at any hour – day or night – and we expected to be treated royally by them, and we were. I do not know why they were so good to us, but they were.

Robert Daly had the greatest influence on our young lives, certainly Virginia, Ralph and me. He was born in August 5, 1901, lived about 3 miles from Irondale, had completed whatever schooling was available to him, and I think, had taken a business course. He then started working at the First National Bank in Birmingham, and by the time we were old enough to remember, he was manager of the Woodlawn Branch, the position he held until his death March 12, 1959 of heart disease.

Robert was more than a 'brother' to us. We dearly loved him, all the family did. Even before they were married, he would give us presents, loose change, etc. He was always generous, a very affable person and apparently had great natural ability to deal with people as he did. Even after I was in college I would not hesitate to call on him if I needed help, transportation, etc.

As I got older, nearly every night after being out - working, dating, whatever, I would come by their house and chat. As WWII came closer, we would get in heated discussions about world events. He would agitate me purposely to get me stirred up. Robert never got mad. He was always smiling and would help everyone, I guess, who came to him.

When I left to go into the Navy on November 13, 1941, Robert, along with Mama, Daddy, Virginia and Vena were at the station to see me off. All during the war, Robert would write cheerful, newsy letters to me, and I treasured them and looked forward to them. After the war of course life changed for all of us, and new concerns and priorities came to the front. Life was never the same again, but Robert's influence on our lives remained strong and had a lasting effect.

Bishop Holliman now lives in Avilla, Indiana with his wife, Ellen Cox Holliman.


No comments:

Post a Comment